Beef stew is a quintessential comfort food, perfect for chilly evenings and cozy gatherings. This classic recipe features tender chunks of beef simmered with hearty vegetables in a rich and savory broth. It’s a simple, satisfying dish that warms the heart and fills the stomach, making it a favorite for family dinners and casual get-togethers.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season and Brown the Beef: Toss the beef cubes with flour, salt, and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pot and brown the beef on all sides. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding. Set the browned beef aside.
- Sauté Vegetables: In the same pot, add a bit more oil if needed. Cook the onions until translucent, then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Combine Ingredients: Return the beef to the pot. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add Vegetables: Add carrots and potatoes to the pot. Continue to simmer for another hour or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Finish the Stew: Stir in frozen peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Serve this hearty beef stew with crusty bread, over rice, or with a side of buttery mashed potatoes. It’s a complete meal in itself but pairs wonderfully with a simple green salad.
- Browning the beef is crucial for developing depth of flavor in the stew.
- This stew can be made in a slow cooker. After browning the beef and sautéing the onions and garlic, transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours 20 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Nutritional Information: Beef stew is rich in protein and provides essential vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. However, it can be high in sodium and fat, depending on the cut of beef used.
Conclusion: Classic Beef Stew is a timeless dish that offers comfort and nourishment. It’s a versatile recipe that can be adapted to your taste preferences, making it a reliable and beloved choice for a hearty meal.
Explore More Hearty and Delicious Recipes at recipesen.com
If you’re inspired by our Classic Beef Stew and looking for more hearty, comforting recipes, visit recipesen.com. Our website offers a wide range of recipes that are perfect for satisfying your comfort food cravings. From stews and soups to other homely meals, find your next cooking inspiration at recipesen.com.