The BLT Pasta Salad is a refreshing and flavorful twist on the classic BLT sandwich, combining the beloved flavors of bacon, lettuce, and tomato with the hearty addition of pasta. Perfect for picnics, potlucks, or a satisfying side dish at dinner, this salad offers a delightful blend of textures and tastes. The creamy dressing, enriched with mayo, Greek yogurt, and spices, perfectly complements the smoky bacon, crisp lettuce, and juicy tomatoes, creating a dish that’s both satisfying and refreshing.
- 1 pound short-cut pasta (such as fusilli, penne, or bowtie), cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 1 (16 oz) package bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Step 1: Begin by cooking your pasta according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: While the pasta is cooling, cook the bacon until crispy. You can do this in a skillet over medium heat or in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool before crumbling it into small pieces.
Step 3: Prepare the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), garlic powder, chopped chives, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are well mixed and the dressing is smooth.
Step 4: Add the crumbled bacon, chopped romaine lettuce, and grape tomatoes to the bowl with the cooled pasta. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
Step 5: Refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour before serving. This chilling time allows the flavors to meld together and the pasta to absorb the dressing, enhancing the overall taste of the salad.
It’s best to add the romaine lettuce to the salad just before serving to maintain its crispness. If you’re preparing this salad in advance, keep the lettuce separate and mix it in right before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy.
The BLT Pasta Salad can be served as a standalone dish for a light lunch or as a side dish at barbecues and picnics. It pairs wonderfully with grilled meats, sandwiches, and other summer salads.
- For a lighter version, you can use low-fat mayonnaise and Greek yogurt.
- Feel free to add additional ingredients such as avocado, cucumber, or red onion for extra flavor and texture.
- If you’re serving this salad outdoors or at a picnic, consider packing the dressing separately and tossing it with the salad just before serving to keep it fresh.
- 20 minutes (including pasta and bacon cooking time)
- No additional cooking time required after preparing ingredients
- 20 minutes + chilling time (at least 1 hour)
- Calories: Approximately 450-500 per serving, varying based on the type of pasta and dressing ingredients used.
- Protein: Approximately 15-20g per serving, mainly from the bacon and Greek yogurt.
- Sodium: Approximately 600-700 mg per serving, depending on the bacon and dressing used.
The BLT Pasta Salad is a versatile and crowd-pleasing dish that effortlessly combines the classic flavors of a BLT with the satisfying heft of pasta. Its creamy, tangy dressing and mix of fresh and savory components make it a guaranteed hit for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a new favorite potluck dish or simply a tasty way to enjoy the flavors of a BLT in a new form, this pasta salad is sure to satisfy.