Creamy Italian Tortellini Soup is a rich and flavorful soup that combines the heartiness of Italian sausage, the freshness of spinach, and the comfort of cheese tortellini in a creamy broth. This dish is perfect for those chilly days when you need a warm and satisfying meal. It’s a delightful blend of flavors and textures that is sure to please the whole family.
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 28 ounces can + 14 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-pound uncooked Italian sausage, hot or sweet/mild
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 10 ounces small frozen cheese tortellini (or fresh)
- 1 cup chopped onion
In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté them until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant, which usually takes about 3-4 minutes.
Add the uncooked Italian sausage to the pot. Break it apart with a spoon and cook until it’s browned and no longer pink. This should take around 5-7 minutes. The sausage adds a rich and meaty flavor to the soup.
Pour in the cans of diced tomatoes (with their juice) and the chicken broth. Stir in the Italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Add the frozen (or fresh) cheese tortellini to the pot. Cook according to the package instructions, usually about 3-5 minutes for frozen tortellini. The tortellini will absorb the flavors of the soup as it cooks.
Once the tortellini is cooked, add the fresh baby spinach to the pot. Stir until the spinach
wilts into the soup, which should take about 1-2 minutes. The spinach not only adds a vibrant color but also provides a good source of vitamins and minerals.
For a creamy texture, stir in the heavy whipping cream. This step is optional, but it adds a luxurious richness to the soup. Heat the soup just until everything is warm, being careful not to let it boil as this can cause the cream to curdle.
Remove the soup from heat. Stir in the shredded Parmesan cheese until it’s fully melted and integrated into the soup. The Parmesan adds a nutty and salty depth to the flavor profile.
Keep the heat on medium to low when adding dairy products like cream and cheese to prevent them from curdling. Also, be cautious not to overcook the tortellini as it can become too soft.
Serve the Creamy Italian Tortellini Soup hot, garnished with extra Parmesan cheese or a sprinkle of fresh herbs like parsley or basil. It pairs beautifully with crusty bread or a light salad.
- Sausage Selection: You can choose either hot or sweet Italian sausage based on your preference for spice.
- Vegetable Additions: Feel free to add other vegetables like carrots or celery for added nutrition and flavor.
- Broth Variations: This recipe can also be made with vegetable or beef broth for a different flavor profile.
- Storage: This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheated, making it a great option for leftovers.
- Preparation Time: Approximately 10-15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: 40-50 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 per serving
- Protein: 15-20g per serving
- Sodium: Varies based on the broth and sausage used
Creamy Italian Tortellini Soup is a comforting and hearty meal that is perfect for any occasion. Its combination of savory sausage, cheese tortellini, and creamy broth
makes it a well-rounded dish that satisfies various taste preferences. Whether you’re serving it on a cozy family night or as a part of a larger meal for guests, this soup is sure to be a hit. The ease of preparation and the flexibility to adjust ingredients to your liking make it a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed time and time again. Enjoy the warm, comforting embrace of this delicious soup!
No related posts.