Creamy Potato Soup is a comforting and hearty dish, perfect for chilly days or whenever you’re in the mood for a rich, savory soup. This recipe, with its combination of tender potatoes, crispy bacon, and a creamy base, is both satisfying and delicious. It’s a classic soup that’s easy to make and is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- Half a white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 pounds of red potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of chives, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Step 1: Cook the Bacon: In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until it’s crispy. Once cooked, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside on a paper towel to drain. Leave the bacon fat in the pot as it will be used to sauté the vegetables.
Step 2: Sauté the Vegetables: In the same pot with the bacon fat, add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
Step 3: Make the Roux: Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the cooked onions and garlic. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes to cook off the raw flour taste. This roux will help thicken the soup.
Step 4: Add Liquids: Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk, whisking constantly to ensure the mixture remains smooth and free of lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
Step 5: Cook the Potatoes: Add the diced potatoes to the pot. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Step 6: Finish the Soup: Once the potatoes are cooked, slightly mash some of them in the pot to thicken the soup further. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it melts into the soup. Then, mix in the sour cream for extra creaminess.
Step 7: Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with the crispy bacon, minced chives, and additional cheese if desired.
Be careful not to let the soup boil vigorously after adding the dairy, as this can cause it to curdle. Gentle simmering is key.
Creamy Potato Soup is a meal in itself and can be served with crusty bread or a light salad. It’s perfect for a cozy dinner or as a comforting lunch.
- Potato Choice: Red potatoes are great as they hold their shape well, but you can use other types like Yukon gold.
- Thickness Adjustment: For a thinner soup, add more broth or milk. For a thicker soup, mash more potatoes.
- Flavor Enhancements: Consider adding herbs like thyme or rosemary for additional flavor.
- Storing: This soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently before serving.
- 15 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 50 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 calories per serving
- Protein: Roughly 10-15 grams per serving
- Sodium: Varies based on the amount of salt added and the sodium content of the chicken broth
Creamy Potato Soup is a timeless comfort food, rich in flavors and textures. Its creamy base, combined with the heartiness of potatoes and the savory notes of bacon and cheese, creates a soup that is both nourishing and deeply satisfying. This soup is a wonderful way to warm up on a cold day or to enjoy a simple yet delicious meal at any time.