French Onion Beef and Noodles is a delightful dish that marries the deep, rich flavors of a classic French onion soup with the heartiness of beef and noodles. This one-pot meal is both comforting and satisfying, making it a perfect choice for a family dinner or a cozy evening meal. It’s a flavorful twist on traditional beef noodle dishes, elevated by the sweet and savory taste of caramelized onions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried or fresh
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Step 1: Brown the Beef
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then add to the pot and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef and set aside.
Step 2: Caramelize the Onions
- In the same pot, add the sliced onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
Step 3: Add Garlic and Seasonings
- Add the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme to the onions. Cook for another minute.
Step 4: Deglaze and Simmer
- Pour in the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Return the beef to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 1 hour, or until the beef is tender.
Step 5: Cook the Noodles
- Add the egg noodles to the pot and cook according to package instructions until al dente.
Step 6: Add Cheese
- Stir in half of the shredded cheese until melted and combined.
Step 7: Serve
- Serve the beef and noodles hot, topped with the remaining shredded cheese and garnished with chopped parsley.
- Adjust the amount of broth as needed, depending on how thick or soupy you prefer the dish.
- French Onion Beef and Noodles can be served on its own or accompanied by a green salad or crusty bread.
- For a deeper flavor, consider adding a splash of red wine while deglazing the pot.
- The dish can also be finished under the broiler for a few minutes to melt and brown the cheese topping.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 400-450 per serving
- Protein: 30g
- Sodium: 500mg
Conclusion: French Onion Beef and Noodles is a rich and hearty dish that brings together the best elements of French onion soup and beefy noodle meals. It’s a comforting and satisfying dish perfect for any night of the week. With its savory flavors and tender beef, it’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe collection.
Explore More Hearty Beef Recipes at recipesen.com
If you’re inspired by our French Onion Beef and Noodles recipe and are looking for more hearty beef dishes, recipesen.com is your culinary haven. Our website offers a wide range of beef recipes that are perfect for comforting meals, family gatherings, and satisfying your meat cravings. Discover your next favorite beef dish at recipesen.com.