Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa is a simple, hearty, and flavorful dish that’s easy to make and full of comforting flavors. It combines the smokiness of kielbasa sausage with the tender sweetness of cabbage, all brought together with a hint of butter, salt, and pepper. This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, as a side dish for gatherings, or when you’re in the mood for something delicious and satisfying with minimal effort. Here’s how to prepare this delightful dish, including the ingredients, preparation steps, cooking notes, serving suggestions, tips, and nutritional information.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Step 1: Sauté the Onion and Kielbasa
- Heat the oil: In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and kielbasa: Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté until it starts to become translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Then, add the kielbasa sausage pieces and cook until they are nicely browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. The kielbasa will release some of its fats and flavors into the pan, which will help to season the dish.
Step 2: Cook the Cabbage
- Add cabbage: To the skillet, add the chopped cabbage, spreading it out evenly over the onion and kielbasa. Let it cook for a few minutes undisturbed to allow some of the cabbage to begin to brown and caramelize.
- Add butter and season: Dot the cabbage with pieces of butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together gently.
- Cover and simmer: Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet, and let the cabbage cook down for about 10-15 minutes, or until it is as tender as you like. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and to prevent sticking.
Adjust the heat as needed to prevent the onion and kielbasa from burning while ensuring that the cabbage has enough time to become tender and slightly caramelized. The butter will add richness and help to meld the flavors together.
Serve the Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa hot, directly from the skillet. It’s a complete meal on its own, thanks to the combination of vegetables and protein. However, it can also be served alongside mashed potatoes, rice, or crusty bread to soak up the flavorful juices.
- For a spicier version, you can use spicy kielbasa or add a pinch of red pepper flakes while cooking.
- Feel free to add other seasonings such as garlic powder, paprika, or a splash of apple cider vinegar for added depth of flavor.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, omit the kielbasa and add more vegetables like bell peppers or carrots for a filling and flavorful dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 250-300 calories per serving.
- Protein: Roughly 14g per serving.
- Sodium: Approximately 700mg per serving, but this can vary based on the type of kielbasa used and the amount of added salt.
Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa is a versatile and comforting dish that’s both easy to prepare and delicious to eat. Its simplicity allows the natural flavors of the ingredients to shine through, while the combination of textures makes it satisfying and fulfilling. Whether you’re looking for a quick dinner option, a tasty side dish, or a new way to enjoy cabbage and sausage, this recipe is sure to become a favorite.