Fried Cornbread, also known as “hot water cornbread” or “corn pone,” is a beloved staple in Southern cuisine. This simple, yet flavorful dish consists of a basic cornmeal batter that is fried to golden perfection, resulting in a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior. It’s a versatile side that can accompany a wide range of meals, from traditional Southern barbecue to hearty stews.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water or milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
Step 1: Prepare the Batter
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, salt, and sugar (if using).
- Gradually stir in the boiling water or milk, mixing until a thick batter is formed. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to thicken.
Step 2: Heat the Oil
- In a large skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
Step 3: Form and Fry the Cornbread
- Once the oil is hot, drop spoonfuls of the cornbread batter into the skillet. Flatten the batter slightly with the back of the spoon to form patties.
- Fry the cornbread for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the cornbread from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
Step 4: Serve
- Serve the fried cornbread warm. It pairs well with honey, butter, or as an accompaniment to greens, beans, or stews.
- Maintain a consistent oil temperature to ensure even cooking and to prevent the cornbread from absorbing too much oil.
- Fried Cornbread can be served as a side dish with traditional Southern meals, or enjoyed on its own as a savory snack.
- For a lighter version, use a non-stick skillet with a small amount of oil.
- You can add ingredients like chopped jalapeños, cheese, or cooked corn kernels to the batter for added flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 150 per serving
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 300mg
Conclusion: Fried Cornbread is a simple yet satisfying dish that’s deeply rooted in Southern cooking traditions. Its crispy texture and rich corn flavor make it a popular side that complements a variety of main courses. Whether you’re a fan of Southern cuisine or just love trying new recipes, fried cornbread is an easy and delicious choice.
Discover More Southern Recipes at recipesen.com
If you’re inspired by our Fried Cornbread recipe and are interested in exploring more Southern cuisine, recipesen.com is your go-to destination. Our website offers a diverse selection of traditional Southern recipes, from classic comfort foods to modern twists on old favorites. Dive into the rich flavors of the South with our collection of recipes at recipesen.com.