Pickled beets are a delightful treat for those who love tangy, flavorful snacks that are also good for health. Not only do they add a vibrant pop of color to any meal, but they are also packed with essential nutrients. This healthy pickled beets recipe is simple, requiring just a few ingredients, and is a great way to preserve beets while enhancing their natural sweetness.
- 2 pounds fresh beets
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar (can substitute with honey or a sugar alternative for a healthier option)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- Optional: 1 cinnamon stick or a few slices of fresh ginger for additional flavor
- Prepare the Beets: Wash the beets thoroughly and trim off the leaves and roots. You can peel them if you like, but it’s not necessary. Slice the beets into thin rounds or wedges.
- Cook the Beets: Place the beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the beets are tender but still firm, about 10-15 minutes.
- Make the Pickling Solution: In another saucepan, combine 1 cup of water, apple cider vinegar, sugar (or honey), salt, garlic, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the optional cinnamon stick or ginger if using.
- Combine Beets and Vinegar Mixture: Drain the cooked beets and place them in a large heatproof jar or bowl. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the beets, ensuring they are completely submerged.
- Cool and Store: Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before eating. The beets will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Suggestions: Enjoy these healthy pickled beets on their own, as a side dish, in salads, or as a flavorful addition to sandwiches and wraps.
- Wearing gloves while handling beets can prevent staining your hands.
- For a less sweet version, reduce the amount of sugar or use a sugar alternative.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Pickling Time: 24 hours Total Time: 24 hours 35 minutes
Nutritional Information: Beets are low in calories and a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are known for their antioxidant properties and health benefits.
Conclusion: Healthy Pickled Beets are an excellent way to enjoy the natural sweetness of beets with a tangy twist. This easy-to-make recipe is perfect for health-conscious individuals looking for a nutritious snack or side dish. Whether you’re a fan of pickling or trying it for the first time, these pickled beets are sure to delight your taste buds.
Discover More Healthy and Delicious Recipes at recipesen.com
If you’re inspired by our Healthy Pickled Beets recipe and looking for more nutritious and tasty options, visit recipesen.com. Our website is filled with a variety of healthy recipes that cater to different dietary needs and preferences. From snacks to main courses, you’ll find plenty of inspiration for cooking wholesome and delicious meals. Visit recipesen.com now and start exploring!