Hearty Crock Pot Cowboy Soup, commonly referred to as hamburger soup, embodies the essence of a comforting, rustic meal that’s perfect for chilly days or whenyou crave a dose of home-style cooking. This dish, with its rich blend of ground beef, vegetables, and a savory tomato base, offers a satisfying balance of flavors and textures. The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity and the slow cooker’s magic, which melds the ingredients into a deeply flavorful soup with minimal effort. Whether you’re feeding a large family, looking for an easy meal prep solution, or simply in need of some culinary warmth, this cowboy soup is a go-to recipe that promises to deliver.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
- 2 Cans Mixed vegetables, undrained
- 1 Can Sweet corn, undrained
- 1 Can Condensed tomato soup
- 1 Can Diced tomatoes
- 1 Can Cut green beans, undrained
- Pinch of Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
Step 1: Start by browning the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Ensure the beef is thoroughly cooked and no pink remains. Once done, drain the excess fat and place the beef in the crock pot.
Step 2: Dice the Yukon Gold potatoes into bite-sized pieces, ensuring they are uniform for even cooking. Add these to the crock pot with the beef.
Step 3: Open the cans of mixed vegetables, sweet corn, diced tomatoes, and cut green beans. Do not drain these as the liquid adds flavor and the necessary liquid base to the soup. Add all the canned ingredients, including the condensed tomato soup, to the crock pot.
Step 4: Season the mixture with a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, and two tablespoons of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Stir well to ensure all the ingredients are evenly distributed and coated with the seasonings.
Step 5: Set the crock pot to low and let the soup cook for 6-8 hours, or change the setting to high and cook for 3-4 hours. This slow cooking process allows the flavors to blend beautifully and the potatoes to become tender.
The slow cooker’s low and gentle heat ensures that every ingredient melds together, with the potatoes absorbing the savory flavors and the beef lending a hearty texture to the soup.
Serve this Hearty Crock Pot Cowboy Soup hot, with a side of crusty bread or cornbread for dipping. Garnishing with fresh herbs like parsley or chives can add a burst of color and freshness to each bowl.
- For a leaner version, consider using ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.
- Feel free to add or substitute vegetables based on preference or availability. This recipe is incredibly versatile.
- To thicken the soup, mash some of the potatoes against the side of the crock pot an hour before the end of cooking.
- 15 minutes (for browning the beef and preparing the ingredients)
- 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high
- 6 hours and 15 minutes to 8 hours and 15 minutes on low; 3 hours and 15 minutes to 4 hours and 15 minutes on high
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 per serving
- Protein: About 25g per serving
- Sodium: Approximately 700mg per serving
(Note: The nutritional values are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredient brands and sizes.)
Hearty Crock Pot Cowboy Soup is more than just a meal; it’s a comforting embrace in a bowl. With its rich flavors, nutritious profile, and the ease of preparation, it stands as a testament to the timeless appeal of simple, hearty meals that have the power to bring people together. Whether it’s a casual dinner, a meal prep solution, or a dish to warm you up on a cold day, this cowboy soup promises satisfaction and warmth with every spoonful.