Mexican Taco Lasagna combines the bold flavors of a taco with the layered, comforting format of lasagna. This fusion dish is a crowd-pleaser, perfect for family dinners, potlucks, or any gathering where you want to serve something unique and flavorful. It layers soft corn tortillas, seasoned ground beef, salsa, and cheese, resulting in a hearty and delicious meal. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to include your favorite taco toppings.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (11 oz) package taco seasoning mix (Recommendation: Old El Paso or Taco Bell’s seasoning)
- 1 (14 oz) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 10 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- ½ cup shredded Colby cheese (Mexican or taco-style cheese works great too)
Step 1: Cook the Beef
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it is browned and crumbled. Drain any excess grease. Add the taco seasoning mix and the can of peeled and diced tomatoes with their juice to the beef. Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat and let it cook for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Step 2: Prepare the Baking Dish
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Take a 9×13 inch baking dish and lightly grease it with cooking spray or a bit of oil to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Layer the Lasagna
Start by placing 4 corn tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping them as needed to cover the surface. Spread half of the beef mixture over the tortillas. Pour ½ cup of salsa over the beef and sprinkle with a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat the layers: place 4 more tortillas, the remaining beef mixture, ½ cup of salsa, and another layer of cheese. If you have extra tortillas, you can add a final layer on top, covered with a bit more cheese.
Step 4: Bake the Lasagna
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 5: Serve
Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before cutting. Serve warm, cut into squares.
- Be sure to let the lasagna rest for a few minutes after baking. This helps the layers set and makes it easier to cut and serve.
Mexican Taco Lasagna can be served with a side of guacamole, sour cream, and a fresh green salad. You might also enjoy it with some extra salsa or hot sauce on the side for those who like a little extra heat.
- Tortilla Layering: Don’t worry if the tortillas overlap or don’t cover every single spot; they will expand as they absorb the sauce and cook.
- Cheese Varieties: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, such as Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or cheddar.
- Adding Vegetables: You can add layers of black beans, corn, or bell peppers for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
- Total Time: 55-60 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 300-350 per serving (varies based on the size of the servings and specific ingredients used)
- Protein: 20-25g per serving
- Sodium: Varies based on the taco seasoning and cheese used
Mexican Taco Lasagna is a delicious and innovative way to enjoy the flavors of a taco in a comforting, baked dish. This recipe is versatile, easy to prepare, and sure to be a hit with anyone who loves Mexican cuisine. It’s perfect for a cozy family dinner or for serving a crowd at a casual gathering. Enjoy the rich layers of seasoned beef, melted cheese, and soft tortillas in every bite!