Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers are a classic American dish that originated during the Great Depression. These burgers are known for their thin beef patties cooked with caramelized onions, giving them a unique and savory flavor. Topped with melted American cheese and served on toasted buns, they’re a delicious and comforting meal that’s perfect for burger enthusiasts.
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4-8 slices American cheese
- Mayo, mustard, and pickles for serving
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
Step 1: Prepare the Onions
Peel, halve, and thinly slice the large onion. Season the onions with a little salt and pepper. The thinner the slices, the better they will caramelize and meld with the beef.
Step 2: Shape the Beef Patties
Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a thin patty, slightly larger than the size of your hamburger buns. Season both sides of the patties with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Cook the Onions and Patties
Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook them until they start to soften. Push the onions to one side of the skillet. Place the beef patties in the skillet and top each patty with a portion of the cooked onions. Press down on the patties with a spatula to help the onions stick to the beef and to thin out the patties further.
Step 4: Flip and Cheese
Cook the patties for about 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip them over, so the onions are now on the bottom. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized and the beef is cooked to your liking. Place 1-2 slices of American cheese on each patty and let it melt.
Step 5: Assemble the Burgers
Place each cooked patty on a toasted hamburger bun. Add mayo, mustard, and pickles as desired.
Step 6: Serve
Serve the Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers hot, with your choice of side dishes like fries, onion rings, or a simple salad.
- Be careful not to burn the onions. Adjust the heat as needed to ensure they caramelize without getting too dark.
Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers are traditionally served with classic burger sides like French fries, onion rings, or a side salad. They pair well with a cold soda or iced tea.
- Onion Thickness: Thinly slice the onions so they cook quickly and blend well with the beef.
- Patty Thickness: Keep the patties thin to ensure even cooking and good integration with the onions.
- Cheese Options: While American cheese is traditional, feel free to use other types like cheddar or Swiss for a different flavor.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 500-600 per burger (varies based on the size of the patties and specific ingredients used)
- Protein: 25-30g per burger
- Sodium: Varies based on the added salt and cheese
Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers are a delicious and easy-to-make classic American dish. With their savory combination of caramelized onions and juicy beef, topped with melted cheese and served on a toasted bun, these burgers are sure to satisfy any burger lover. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner, a backyard barbecue, or a casual get-together, these burgers are a tasty and enjoyable choice.