Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie is a dessert that harkens back to simpler times. This pie, with its rich chocolate filling and flaky crust, is a testament to the timeless appeal of homemade sweets. Whether it’s for a family gathering, a special occasion, or just a treat for a regular day, this chocolate pie is sure to delight anyone who takes a bite.
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or meringue, for topping
- Prepare the Crust: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Roll out the pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie dish. Prick the bottom with a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the Filling: In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils; boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Temper the Egg Yolks: Slowly pour a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then, gradually add the tempered yolks back into the saucepan, stirring continuously.
- Cook the Filling: Return the saucepan to heat and cook until it just starts to bubble, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Fill the Pie: Pour the filling into the baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill: Refrigerate the pie until the filling is set, about 4 hours.
- Top and Serve: Before serving, top the pie with whipped cream or meringue.
Serving Suggestions: Serve this Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a meringue topping. A sprinkle of chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder can add an extra touch of elegance.
- For a smoother chocolate flavor, use high-quality cocoa powder.
- Ensure the filling is cooled before pouring into the crust to prevent the crust from becoming soggy.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Chilling Time: 4 hours Total Time: 4 hours 35 minutes
Nutritional Information: This pie is a rich dessert, high in sugar and fat, especially if topped with whipped cream or meringue. Enjoy it as an occasional indulgence.
Conclusion: The Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie is a dessert that never goes out of style. Its rich flavor and creamy texture make it a beloved choice for all who appreciate the classic charm of homemade desserts. Whether it’s the star of a festive occasion or a comforting treat on a quiet evening, this chocolate pie is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Explore More Delicious Dessert Recipes at recipesen.com
If this Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie has inspired your sweet tooth, visit recipesen.com for more delightful dessert recipes. Our collection ranges from traditional favorites to modern twists, ensuring there’s always something new and exciting to try. Visit us at recipesen.com and let us help you discover your next favorite dessert!