Peanut Butter Banana Bread is a delightful twist on the traditional banana bread recipe, infusing the classic flavor with the creamy, nutty richness of peanut butterand the sweet surprise of chocolate chips. This bread is the perfect blend of moistness from the bananas, a hint of sweetness, and the savory depth of peanut butter, making it an irresistible treat for breakfast, a snack, or even as a dessert. Ideal for using up overripe bananas, this recipe transforms simple ingredients into a comforting, flavorful loaf that’s sure to please both children and adults alike.
- 2-3 overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Pan
Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray, or line it with parchment paper. This preparation ensures that the banana bread can be easily removed from the pan after baking.
Step 2: Mash the Bananas and Combine Wet Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, mash 2-3 overripe bananas with a fork until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, and 1 large egg to the mashed bananas. Whisk these ingredients together until they are well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, mixing until everything is evenly incorporated.
Step 3: Mix Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sifting helps to aerate the flour, resulting in a lighter, fluffier texture in the banana bread.
Step 4: Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can lead to a denser bread.
Step 5: Add Chocolate Chips and Bake
Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips into the batter, reserving a few to sprinkle on top before baking. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- The bread should be golden brown and set in the middle. If it’s browning too quickly, you can loosely cover the top with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
Serve the Peanut Butter Banana Bread warm or at room temperature, either plain or with a spread of butter or extra peanut butter. It can also be served with a cold glass of milk, a hot cup of coffee, or as a delightful snack any time of the day.
- Banana Ripeness: The riper the bananas, the better. Overripe bananas are sweeter and mash easily, adding natural moisture and sweetness to the bread.
- Peanut Butter Choice: You can use creamy or crunchy peanut butter depending on your texture preference.
- Storing: This banana bread can be stored at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for longer shelf life. It also freezes well.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 60-65 minutes
- Total Time: Approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 280-350 per slice (varies based on the ingredients and serving size)
- Protein: 6-8g per slice
- Sodium: Varies based on the ingredients used
Peanut Butter Banana Bread is a delightful and easy-to-make treat that marries the comforting taste of classic banana bread with the rich flavor of peanut butter and the sweet charm of chocolate chips. This recipe is perfect for turning overripe bananas into a delicious and satisfying snack or dessert that’s enjoyed by all ages. Its moist texture, combined with the flavors of peanut butter and chocolate, makes it a versatile and beloved treat for any occasion.