Philly Steak Cheese Fries combine the rich flavors of a classic Philly cheesesteak with the crispy delight of waffle fries, making for an indulgent, crowd-pleasing dish. Perfect for game days, casual gatherings, or whenever you crave something cheesy and satisfying, this recipe is sure to hit the spot.
- 1 lb steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8-10 slices of White American Cheese
- 20 OZ bag McCain Quick Cook Waffle Cut Fries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Step 1: Prep and Cook the Fries Follow the instructions on the McCain Quick Cook Waffle Cut Fries package to cook them. Typically, this involves spreading the fries in a single layer on a baking sheet and baking until they’re golden and crispy. Keep the oven on if you’ll be melting the cheese on the fries in the oven later.
Step 2: Season and Cook the Steak Season the thinly sliced steak with garlic salt and ground black pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak to the skillet and cook until it’s no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
Step 3: Cook the Vegetables In the same skillet, add the sliced green bell pepper and onion. Sauté until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized, about 5-8 minutes. If the skillet is dry, you may add a little more olive oil.
Step 4: Combine Steak and Vegetables Return the cooked steak to the skillet with the vegetables and mix well. Cook together for another 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
Step 5: Assemble the Dish Place the crispy waffle fries on a large oven-safe platter or baking sheet. Spoon the steak and vegetable mixture evenly over the fries. Lay the White American Cheese slices over the top, covering the steak and vegetables as much as possible.
Step 6: Melt the Cheese If your oven is still warm, place the platter or baking sheet back in the oven just until the cheese melts, about 3-5 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave the assembled dish for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Step 7: Serve Once the cheese is melted and gooey, remove the dish from the oven or microwave. If desired, top with additional diced fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream for garnish. Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
Philly Steak Cheese Fries are perfect as a standalone dish but can be served with extra toppings like sour cream, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, or hot sauce for added flavor and texture.
- Steak Choice: For the best results, use a tender cut of steak such as ribeye or sirloin, and slice it as thinly as possible for quick cooking.
- Cheese Options: While White American Cheese is classic for its smooth melting, you can also experiment with Provolone or Mozzarella for different flavors.
- Crispy Fries: To ensure your fries stay crispy, don’t overload them with the steak and vegetable mixture. Keeping the layer relatively light ensures every bite is the perfect mix of crispy and cheesy.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Philly Steak Cheese Fries are a delightful twist on two beloved dishes, offering a perfect blend of flavors and textures. Whether you’re looking to impress guests or treat yourself, this recipe is a guaranteed hit. Enjoy the savory goodness of every bite!