Mexican Casserole is a hearty and flavorful dish that combines the zesty tastes of Mexican cuisine with the comfort of a baked casserole. This recipe features layersof ground beef, beans, crispy tortilla chips, and cheese, all brought together with a savory tomato and taco seasoning blend. It’s a perfect meal for a family dinner, potluck, or any occasion where you’re craving something deliciously satisfying.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can Ranch Style beans
- 1 10-12 ounce bag tortilla chips, crushed (you may not use the whole bag)
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup water
- Sour cream and salsa for serving
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Beef
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it’s no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
Step 2: Add Beans and Seasoning
Stir in the can of Ranch Style beans, the package of taco seasoning, and the can of Ro-tel tomatoes to the cooked ground beef. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Casserole Layer
In a separate bowl, mix together the can of cream of chicken soup and 1/2 cup of water. In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, layer half of the crushed tortilla chips, followed by half of the beef and bean mixture, and then half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat these layers once more.
Step 4: Add Soup Mixture
Pour the soup mixture over the top layer of the casserole, ensuring it spreads evenly.
Step 5: Bake the Casserole
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Step 6: Serve
Serve the Mexican Casserole hot, topped with sour cream and salsa as desired.
- Be careful not to crush the tortilla chips into very fine crumbs; you want to maintain some texture for a better layer in the casserole.
This Mexican Casserole can be served with a side of guacamole, extra salsa, a fresh green salad, or Mexican-style rice. For those who like extra heat, serving it with jalapeños or hot sauce is also a great option.
- Bean Variations: If you can’t find Ranch Style beans, you can use other beans like black beans or pinto beans.
- Cheese Options: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, such as Monterey Jack or a Mexican cheese blend.
- Adding Vegetables: For a healthier twist, consider adding vegetables like bell peppers or corn to the beef mixture.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- Total Time: 35-45 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 500-600 per serving (varies based on the serving size and specific ingredients used)
- Protein: 20-30g per serving
- Sodium: Varies based on the ingredients used, especially the canned beans and taco seasoning
Mexican Casserole is an easy-to-make, delicious meal that’s perfect for satisfying your Mexican food cravings. With its layers of crunchy tortilla chips, savory beef and beans, and melted cheese, this casserole is a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to become a favorite in your meal rotation. Enjoy the rich flavors and comforting texture of this delightful dish!