Philly Cheesesteak Casserole transforms the classic flavors of a beloved Philly cheesesteak sandwich into a hearty, cheesy, and comforting casserole dish. This recipe combines tender ground beef, sautéed green bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and a creamy, cheesy mixture, baked to perfection. It’s an easy-to-make meal that’s perfect for any weeknight dinner, bringing the taste of Philadelphia right to your table.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish or a casserole dish of similar size.
Step 2: Cook the Beef and Vegetables
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef until browned and crumbly. Drain any excess grease. Add the diced green bell pepper, onion, and sliced mushrooms to the skillet with the beef. Sauté until the vegetables are tender and the moisture has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Prepare the Cheese Mixture
In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, and half of the shredded provolone cheese until well combined. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Step 4: Combine Beef and Cheese Mixture
Add the cheese mixture to the skillet with the beef and vegetables. Stir to combine everything thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
Step 5: Add Cheese Topping
Sprinkle the remaining shredded provolone cheese evenly over the top of the beef and vegetable mixture in the baking dish.
Step 6: Bake the Casserole
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and slightly golden.
Step 7: Serve
Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. This dish can be served on its own or with a side of salad or garlic bread for a complete meal.
- Variations: For an even more authentic Philly cheesesteak flavor, consider using thinly sliced steak instead of ground beef. You can also add a layer of sautéed bell peppers and onions on top before adding the final cheese layer for more texture.
- Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 4-6 people, making it perfect for family dinners. Adjust the recipe as needed for larger gatherings.
- Storage: Leftover Philly Cheesesteak Casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until warm.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a delightful twist on a classic sandwich, offering all the cheesy, meaty goodness in a form that’s perfect for sharing. Whether you’re looking for a new family favorite or just want to try something different, this casserole is sure to satisfy your cravings for comfort food. Enjoy the rich flavors and easy preparation of this delicious dish.