Sliced Baked Potatoes are a simple yet delicious side dish that transforms the humble potato into something special. This recipe gives the potatoes a crispy exteriorand a soft, fluffy interior, seasoned with a blend of spices that adds a flavorful kick. They are a great accompaniment to a variety of main courses, offering a tasty alternative to traditional baked or mashed potatoes.
- 4 medium potatoes (Russet potatoes recommended)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 4 to 6 tbsp olive oil
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). This high temperature is key for achieving crispy edges on the potatoes.
Step 2: Prepare the Potatoes
Wash and dry the potatoes thoroughly. Using a sharp knife, slice each potato into thin slices, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, being careful not to cut all the way through the potato. The slices should remain attached at the bottom.
Step 3: Season the Potatoes
In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper, 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp of garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp of paprika. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle each potato with olive oil, ensuring that some oil gets between the slices. Then sprinkle the seasoning mix over the potatoes, again making sure some gets between the slices.
Step 4: Bake the Potatoes
Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and the centers are tender. Halfway through the baking time, you may want to baste the potatoes with more olive oil for extra crispiness.
Step 5: Serve
Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve them while they’re warm.
- When slicing the potatoes, you can place chopsticks on either side of the potato to act as a guide and prevent the knife from cutting all the way through.
Sliced Baked Potatoes can be served as a side dish with a variety of main courses like grilled steak, baked chicken, or roasted vegetables. They’re also great with toppings such as sour cream, chives, shredded cheese, or bacon bits.
- Potato Size: Medium-sized Russet potatoes work best for this recipe as they hold their shape well and have a good starch content for baking.
- Even Slicing: Try to make the slices as even as possible for uniform cooking.
- Seasoning Variations: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. You can add herbs like rosemary or thyme for a different flavor profile.
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
- Total Time: 50-55 minutes
- Calories: Approximately 200-250 per serving (varies based on the size of the potatoes and the amount of oil used)
- Protein: 2-3g per serving
- Sodium: Varies based on the amount of added salt
Sliced Baked Potatoes are a delightful and easy-to-make side dish that adds a crispy, flavorful twist to the classic baked potato. They are versatile, satisfying, and can be customized with your favorite seasonings and toppings. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply making a family meal, these potatoes are sure to be a hit!